Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Role of the Assistant Lighting Designer

The assistant lighting designer functions as a general assistant to the lighting designer. The assistant lighting designer can draw any or all of the associated paperwork- light plots, lighting sectional, instrument schedule, etc. as requested by the lighting designer. The assistant lighting designer may also focus or participate in focusing the instruments, write cues, update paperwork, or perform any of the other myriad tasks necessary to make the lighting design come alive onstage.

-Designing With Light: an Introduction to Stage Lighting, J. Michael Gillette

Last week, Professor Autum Casey-the lighting and scenic designer of My Children! My Africa!- had me go through the play and create my own light cues, and then research pictures, magazine articles, art magazines, etc. for the cues that I found. The research did not necessarily have to relate directly to the scene or action in the play, but it just needed to capture the emotion that I was trying to convey as the lighting designer. For example, if I want to convey "innocent", I research stark, white light--pictures of babies, brides in wedding dresses, etc. If I was looking for sunset, I would look for lavenders and warm oranges.

This week, my homework is to take the light cues that I made, and create a light cue sheet. This sheet is an excel document that has the cue number, the description of the light (ex. innocent), placement in the script, page number, and the time for the cue. Then, I will take my research that I did last week, and create lighting keys. The lighting keys, which I will do in plan view and front view, are sketches that will help me realize where the light source is coming from and how the shadow is being cast. Be able to understand direction of light and the shadows that they create will drastically help me later in the process when we choose light placement on the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment